Canyon de Chelly

« Back to Glossary Index

Canyon de Chelly was the home of the Navajo tribe until the New Mexico governor Lt. Antonio Narbona invaded by force in 1805. In 1863 Kit Carson sent some of his troops to put an end to the canyon and defeat the Navajo tribe, by doing so they led them to surrender and move to Bosque Redondo, NM.